This month’s blog is going to revolve around the “do’s and don’ts” of meeting a significant others family and friends.
It is an inevitable part of the dating game. After enough time has passed in a relationship, not only will you have met your boyfriend/girlfriend’s closest friends, but you will undoubtedly get to the moment when you meet their parents and siblings as well!!! You do NOT want to mess this up!!!
After watching the finale of The Bachelorette I felt like there was loads to talk about, and thought I would share my advice on how to NOT mess it up when it happens to you.
Ok! You ready?
1. Bring something! – Flowers, a bottle of wine, a box of cigars for the old man. Don’t show up empty handed.
2. Smile often – It’s hard to dislike people that don’t smile. Even if you are nervous, uncomfortable, hungover, hungry, you’re dog just died…smile! Within reason, of course. You don’t want to smile too much, that can get creepy.
3. Eye contact – Good lord, look people in the eye. If you are nervous, that’s fine, but please, please pick your eyes up off the ground.
4. Ask questions – Obviously the family wants to get to know you, so I’m sure you will be asked a bunch of questions. Make sure the conversation isn’t one-sided because of it. A simple “how about you?” at the end of your answer is a good way to keep conversation flowing, and give you a chance to eat/drink. : )
1. Don’t wear jeans or a t-shirt. I don’t care what the arrangements are for your meeting… Dress nice. You don’t have to dress UP. But, please, promise me you won’t wear a t-shirt or jeans. Ladies, make sure your shorts aren’t too short, and EASE-UP on the make-up, please. JUST LOOK NICE. Presentable is the key word.
2. Don’t be afraid to talk about why you love your significant other. Don’t ramble about it, but parents, sibs LOVE to hear that stuff. How you met, a fun date you went on, and then BOOM. Drop the L-word if it’s there. Complimenting their daughter/son, sister/brother in front of them is so important, and will score you points in the keeper column. DON’T keep it to yourself.
3. Don’t be waited on. If you are having dinner at their parents place. Offer to help, whenever and however you can. Set the table,
grab drinks for people. My go to is the dishes. HELP OUT.
OK! That should be enough to get you through the meet n’ greet with some high marks.
As a blanket statement, I would say this: meeting friends and family of your lover is a big deal. People on both sides of the fence are nervous, and ultimately, everyone involved genuinely wants it to go well. Follow those easy tips, be engaged in conversation and smile when you show-up/when you leave, and you will have done 90% of the work. The other 10% is the infinite number of ways a conversation can go, and even if that part doesn’t go well…. it will make for a great story the next time you see them, or the car ride home.
Take a deep breath.
Hold hands with your boyfriend/girlfriend.
Hope this helps you out.
Leave comments below with questions, or additional tips!