By: Susan Alper
Hello! Welcome to my new column. Thank you for taking the time to read. In each issue of Eligible Magazine I am going to try my best and shed some light on the always daunting, sometimes elusive world of dating. What to do? What not to do? What to wear? Say? Smell like? Act like? All those little questions that come (or don’t come) to mind when a single male or female thinks about dating.
Let’s dive in.
I thought we would start off with a simple list of sorts:
First date do’s and dont’s for men
1. SDC. Shower, Deodorant, Cologne. My brother told me a story once about a guy in Taiwan that he met that would literally meet girls CONSTANTLY, simply because he matched his body wash, his cologne and his deodorant. Some magical trifecta of heavenly aroma that made girls’ knees week. Steve called it a load of crap, but sure enough, later that night at the club this guy was SWARMED with women. Till this day the mysterious God of scents, has not revealed the combination.
(Side note: Don’t over do it… please… 1-2 sprays of cologne is plenty)
2. Be on time…but not TOO on time.
No girl wants to go on a first date at 8pm, and see prince charming role up around 8:17. Wrong message. And even more importantly…don’t be pulling up at 7:30pm with flowers and a puppy. It seems minute, but it’s important. Be on time. 5 minutes before and/or no later than 5 minutes after.
Car Doors, The door to the restaurant, any door ANYWHERE…that you come across… open it up for her. It always saddens me to think that this old fashion gesture is lost. Don’t let it be lost on you.
1. Don’t FIGHT to pay the bill. Certainly offer, but it’s 2013! Women are powerful, successful creatures and often times being over insistent on paying the bill can be insulting to a woman. Swallow some pride, go halfzies if she wants.
2. Don’t talk about yourself. One of the best things my parents ever did growing up (and currently) is every time we have a meal together, they have a question for the table: “What is your favorite childhood memory?”, “What is your biggest accomplishment in life?”, “What is your favorite snack before bed?”. Talk about yourself a little bit, but be sure to be engaged and interested in what she has to say.
3. If the date goes well DON’T walk away without a kiss. I promise it will be what she thinks about before she falls asleep, and it will be what she tells her friends about the next day. DON’T go to bed with her. You will cheapen your relationship before it even starts. But be a man, and get that kiss.
Much more to come!
Good luck in your search to find love. I promise it’s worth it.
Susan Alper is the founder of Susan Alper Connections, a boutique style matching making firm with a unique twist for creating the perfect match and coaching clients. Susan believes that people are reluctant to admit that finding a suitable partner requires assistance and even help. Coaching clients for happiness through life-coaching, make-overs and the truth,may be harsh but Susan is living proof you can be happy and find a true partner. Susan has re-invented herself many times and each change was for the better. Now she wants others to do the same. Susan Alper Connections was founded in 2007. The head office is located in Westmount, Quebec with satellite offices internationally. Coming soon is a concierge service, giving busy new couples extra help in various fields. You can learn more by visiting www.susanalperconnections.com.