By: Sheree Morgan
Have you ever tried online dating?
In theory it should work. We should be able to take our little wish list and scroll through the thousands of possible matches, until we find a perfect match. Unfortunately the reality is quite the opposite. Instead what you will find online is people who are frustrated, angry and emotionally exhausted.
I was not always a matchmaker so yes I have even tried online dating myself. With the millions of people online, the sheer volume will stick once in a while, but unfortunately the percentage is minimal in comparison.
Here are the top reasons online dating does not work for the majority of people actually looking for a relationship:
- Singles often intentionally use it to hook up with no intention of going forward with a relationship. This, no matter how many people they meet or what they write on their profile (false advertising).
- Given the opportunity to embellish, people will! They lie about their age, weight, height and activity levels mostly. (more false advertising).
- No privacy. Your personal information and photo are exposed online.
- Too much volume. When there is a plethora of choice at the drop of the hat, it tends to breed a throwaway mentality. The kid in the candy store idea.
- People get easily distracted because of the sheer volume and ease of access. Each person is often talking to and or dating 20-30 people at a time. No wonder they can’t remember who you are.
- It can be very dangerous. You have no idea who the person on the other end of the email or phone is. They could be a criminal, psycho or married.
- Online addiction. Some people just can’t stop going online checking to see who else is there.
All of those reasons don’t include those that use the “bait”. These are people who are hired to post beautiful photos (men and women) and sit online and send smiles to unsuspecting profiles. You never actually meet any of these “beautiful people” but you do end up spending a lot of time and money on this fantasy person.
So you have “addiction”, “piled up baggage”, “throw away mentality”, the “huge amount of wasted time, energy and frustration”, “false advertising” not to mention the cost of all of those bad dates. Throw in the “bait”, “married people”, “gold-diggers”, “gigolos” and possible “psychos”. Online dating may not turn out to be a good use of your time. If you are looking to meet someone special you would be better suited to go outdoors and strike up conversations with everyone you see in coffee shops, checkout lines and grocery stores! You never know who could be waiting for you to say Hi!
Sheree Morgan is a Professional Matchmaker and Dating Coach offering Single
Executives and Professionals help for their dating and relating life. Matchmaker
Sheree has personally introduced compatible singles resulting in marriage and
long term relationships. As a Dating Coach Sheree has helped guide and mold countless men and women into dateable and mateable partners.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. -Albert Einstein